GoodBed Review Guidelines
Moderating Guidelines for Reviews Posted on GoodBed
At GoodBed, we work very hard to provide the most useful resource for mattress shoppers. Our users come here to find the best information on purchasing a mattress, including reviews from other mattress shoppers just like you! As such, these are the guidelines we follow when moderating reviews posted on GoodBed.
We only want truly unbiased reviews
Integrity matters to us – fake reviews make our site less valuable for everyone. That’s why we only want strictly objective, first-hand reviews from real consumers.
In order to submit a review on GoodBed, you must certify that:
- The review is your genuine opinion based on your own personal experience with the specified product or store.
- You have no personal or business affiliation with the owners, employees or competitors of that product or store that could bias your review.
- You have not been offered any payment or incentive for writing this review.
In addition to being unethical and a violation of our site policy, review fraud is also prohibited by law in many jurisdictions, including the United States (see Federal Trade Commission Rule 16 C.F.R. Part 255).
To discourage fraudulent activity, we closely monitor the veracity of our reviews. The resulting data is compiled and factored into our overall Brand Rating calculations. This means that companies will actually lower their Brand Rating by submitting positive reviews for themselves, or negative ones for their competitors.
We encourage a two-way conversation
Although today’s ‘no-flip’ mattresses may have only one side, most stories still have two sides. Thus, we strive to make GoodBed a two-way dialogue – a place where companies can engage with their customers, reviewers can seek resolution, and onlookers can be sure they are getting the full story. We encourage companies to pay attention to the reviews they receive, and to respond to them where appropriate, especially when they are able to offer a helpful remedy or clarification. We believe that a fair and balanced environment makes reviews more useful for everyone.
Please write your review as if your grandmother were going to read it. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Don’t use foul language. Nobody wants to read filth, especially Granny. We will decline your review if it doesn’t pass the soap test. In our case that means none of the following – profanity, threats, prejudiced comments, hate speech, graphic sexual content, and the like.
- Don’t use personal attacks or insults. It’s OK to mention names, but if you get personal and insult someone, your review or comment will be declined. Feel free to say what you wish in person, but no one needs to have personal insults written about them on the internet.
- Don’t write in ALL CAPS or use spam-like punctuation. If your review makes excessive use of ALL CAPS, exclamation points or the like, it will be declined. Same goes for typographical symbols meant to be curse words, HTML tags or other spammy-looking content. Please be tasteful in writing your review. Have Granny read it if you need to.
If your review contains hearsay, it will be declined. Here are some examples:
- Focus on your first-hand experience. If 'so and so' told you something about a product or store, that's fine, but it can't go in your review.
- Don’t quote or refer to reviews on other sites. This is your review. Let’s keep it that way.
- This is not a history lesson. Your review should focus on your specific experience with a product or store, not a general overview or history of the company. For example, we would decline a review with a statement like: "Don’t buy from this company because they recently went bankrupt." We would accept something like: "This company refused to honor my warranty after going through bankruptcy."
Keep it real
Our readers want to hear from real people with real mattress buying experiences. If you want to post a review to our site:
- Use a real name. If you aren’t willing to put your name on your review, then it’s probably not worth being included on GoodBed. To protect your privacy, only your first name and last initial appear on the site. Reviews written by an alias – e.g., "skaterdude44" – will be declined.
- Provide a valid e-mail address. This again speaks to the credibility of your review, and helps us ensure that you are a real consumer. We don’t share your email address, so please don’t use a fake one if you want your review to appear on the site.
No allegations of illegal behavior
To put it simply, we’re not the cops. If you believe the law was broken, we urge you to notify the proper authorities and handle it through the legal system – they’re the experts. That said, we have no problem publishing specific details of your experience without such allegations.
We simply won’t tolerate any advertisements in a review. This includes "referral codes" -- so if you include one of these in your review, it will be declined.
Other quality tips
To make sure your review is useful and credible to other readers, it should also meet the following simple quality guidelines:
- Be thoughtful and specific. Most experiences in life are not all good or all bad. Please be as specific as possible about how your experience exceeded expectations, or where you came away disappointed. Likewise, please be thoughtful in your individual category ratings – very rarely will a product or store truly deserve the same exact rating in every category (e.g., all 1-star or all 5-star). You can use the ‘overall rating’ to reflect the general quality of your experience.
- This site is about mattresses. If you bought everything but the kitchen sink, great. However, our readers are primarily interested in your mattress buying experience. Thanks for helping us keep it focused.
- Reviews are not the place to solicit advice. If you’re seeking advice on what to purchase or where to shop, please visit our forum. That’s where those kinds of discussions take place.
We want your feedback on our reviews, so we’ve made it very easy to rate them. Simply look for the "Helpful?" link at the bottom of each mattress review, and click "Yes" or "No." That’s it!
Likewise, if you see a review that you think violates one of these guidelines, you can report it to us by clicking the "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of any review. Please be sure to include your reason for reporting the review. We will investigate the matter, and if you include a valid email address, we will get back to you with our findings via email. We appreciate your feedback!
Thanks for following these guidelines! Make Granny proud and help us maintain the world’s most useful resource for mattress shoppers!